Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Tasting Table

Epicurean - Devoted to the pursuit of sensual pleasure, especially to the enjoyment of good food and comfort

As a person devoted to the sensual pleasure of food, I could have not described my fascination with food. Throughout time my way of looking at food has changed dramatically from the guacamole in California, to chowing down clam chowder in Boston , courting with Philadelphia's famous cheese steaks, and finally ending up in the mecca of all places New York City.

My appreciation of food comes from the pure joy of taking that first bite and knowing that there are a few things in the world that could compare or describe that feeling. Eating isn't just about eating but about the experience and story that comes with it. It's the fascination of learning why certain flavors and techniques are used at that precise moment, and knowing how that combination of flavors will work together to create that one bite that takes you somewhere else. Living in New York City, has allowed me to expand my own experience with food. One of the highlights of each year is my birthday. It is an adventure that I await . Birthdays and anniversaries are the days that we, my boyfriend Frank and I, chose a restaurant to have a dinner. We simply awaiting to see what the other person has chosen. Will it be Gordon Ramsey's London or Eric Ripert's Le Bernadin? This is where I believe the epicurean in me comes out. I never look at these evenings as simple and ordinary, but as an experience with amazing flavors and stories waiting to be told. With birthday's such as these who wouldn't want to have them every week.

Speaking with Veronica, one of my co-workers and friend, about her own love of food inspired me to start writing about my own personal experience. She just moved to the city from the Midwest and started to write a blog about her love with food and her adventures with New York City cuisine. The more I spoke to her the more I started to believe that I should be sharing my own experiences. New York is a city of many wonders, one being food. It is a melting pot of flavors waiting to be discovered and written about. This is where my story begins. I will begin writing about food, recipes, entertaining, and any other subject that has to do with food. In other words I will become the educated epicurean.

1 comment:

  1. Yeahhhh girl! Share your stories! I have so much to learn. Can't wait for more! I love your bio - very well said.

    ReplyDelete