Monday, April 20, 2009

Today's Lunch at Sylvia's

Most of us have heard of Sylvia's Soul Food in Harlem. It has been a staple in the Harlem community since 1962. Now, I have not doubt that at one time this must have been an amazing soul food restaurant but I have to say that this is not true today. My co-worker and I decided to go to Sylvia's for lunch. I personally enjoy soul food and was looking forward to lunch. Just a few weeks ago I saw Sylvia's on the Travel Channel's Man vs Food and their comments on the amazing fried chicken and ribs. I have heard very mixed reviews. I was curious. When we arrived we where greeted and seated promptly, plus one. Once seated our waitress came over and welcomed us and ask if this was our first time. She was polite and very informative. Plus two. She took our food and drink order, salmon croquettes for my co-worker and smothered fried chicken leg for myself. After a few minutes our drink where brought and and corn bread was served. Let us start here. The cornbread at best was a 4 on a 10 scale. I was not what I was expecting. It was brown and dry not sweet, savory and moist. It also came with whipped butter and grape jelly. I understand the whipped butter was unsure about the grape jelly. If anyone wants to explain this to me I am open to hearing explanations the the jelly. This is where the minuses began. To continue we waited about 15 minutes for our food. In that time the busboy came over and removed our plates, silverware and drinks, believing we where done. Finally our food came and somehow I was served smothered chicken livers. I can honestly say as big of a epicurean that I consider myself, I do not like liver. I have tried it many different times and ways, just not a fan. Besides they where dark brown and crispy burnt. I sent my dish back and finally got a smothered chicken leg with mash potatoes and macaroni and cheese. It looked like a big glob of food, not appealing to the eye. The chicken tasted old, soggy and over salted. If I am telling you that something is salty believe me it was all salty. I took one bite and stopped eating after that. What makes fried chicken great it the crispy crunchy outside and succulent juicy meat inside. This was none of the above. The potatoes where average and the mac and cheese over salted, again. Needless to say I did not enjoy the meal. Overall I can't say I would recommend this location. It is at best left to the tourist.

This is what bothers me about places such as these. They feel that because they have gained popularity it is acceptable to cut corners. This is their the downfall. Great food is about maintaining consistency. Yes, Sylvia's has been around for many years but I feel that if I was served that same meal back in 1963 it would have been very different. Sylvia herself would not have served that today.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Genny. I cannot find an email address for you on your blog here. Can you please call me as soon as possible on 646-688-5275 regarding your Tasting Table blog? Need to speak with you regarding the blog's name. Thanks!
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete